Sunday, January 13, 2013

Baba´s Kiwi Newsletter - 10 (english)


Baba´s Kiwi Newsletter – 10

My last weeks in New Zealand :( 10 month are flying by far to quick and I still can´t realise that it´s over. But what I know is that I had a fantastic time and the adventure of my life! Whether I was travelling or staying in one place, I enjoyed every single second and will definitely visit this country again if possible :)

Day 278 – 280 / WANAKA
We arrived on a sunday evening in Wanaka and went straight to our great room, got internet for only $5 so I immediately skyped Adam.
For the next day we were keen on the Roy Valley Track. In Wanaka it still looked really good but after 11km´s off road through a valley with mountains, it wasn´t that satisfying anymore. Arriving at the first ford we had to make a decision as 10 more would follow and you can´t get back if it starts to rain – at least not with Baba black sheep. We decided to not take the risk and turned around. What a pity but you don´t enjoy sitting somewhere in the mountains, locked by the rain. Instead we walked around „Diamond lake“. Nothing special to be honest. In the end the anticipation for the next day was rising – skydive was on the schedule :)
We signed up for 9am to make sure the weather is still good and we have a great view. While breakfast and on the way to the airport I got a little nervous. I never thought that I would do this but hey – you only live once (haha). As we arrived I wasn´t nervous anymore, which almost made me nervous again ;) Is that normal? Another half an hour later we were finally ready to enter the plane and the excitement was growing. 15 000 feet (which means 4572m) it should be and I was the first one to jump out. I can´t say a lot: it was UNBELIEVABLE! The first few seconds, when you don´t know where you are and you get this horrible feeling in your stomach, are probably the worst. But then: pure Adrenalin :) How fun – and yet over to quickly! I´m happy I did the video and the pics, to reminde me that I actually did it! I only can recommend it ;) Just on the same day we rented 2 rackets and a tennis court to make the best of the weather. Finally hitting a ball again – WONDERFUL! It was hot, exhausting and great fun – just like I love it :) Later we went to the cinema paradiso (wanaka is famous for as there are old couches and car halfs to sit in). As there wasn´t a movie we were both interested in we simply went seperately ;)

Day 280 - 284 / FRANZ JOSEF
Passing the „Blue pools“, „Knights point“ and the Fox Glacier we made our way to Franz Josef. After our travel agent (who booked our activities) recommended we should go to the Glacier in the morning when the ice is still nice and blue, we ignored the weather forecast for the next day and booked a trip on Friday, 8:30am instead of Thursday, 11:00am.
The weather the next day wasn´t actually that bad. We watched movies on Sky TV, bought internet and did a little glowworm walking track at night.
Full of expectations we made our way to the „Ice Explorer“ office the next day only to postpone our trip to the afternoon, everthing was canceled in the morning. It looked like we should regret our decision to book in the mornings! Around lunch time everything fort he day was canceled and we postponed till the next day. Should it not work on Saturday we had to consider to spend less time on the west coast in order to have enough time up in the Abel Tasman and Golden bay.
Bad luck again. A rainly and grey deep stuck in the mountains (we couldn´t even see them). Considering Franz Josef not the best place to get stuck (NOTHING to do, really NOTHING!!!) we put all on one card and booked the rest of our travels, at least accommodation. The weather forecast for Sunday finally looked better and after 4 nights waiting we just hoped that it´s worth it.
And finally we were lucky! At 9am everything looked great and there were only a few clouds in the sky. So after 2 minutes Helicopter flight we made our way through the ice, following our guide from czech republic :) It was great and she admitted as well that days like this are rare. It didn´t last for too long. After 2 hours we slowly got covered in clouds again and one after ours every tour got declined again – well, that´s timing :) After the hike we relaxed at the „Glacier hot Pools“ for free (heated glacier water) before we headed of to Hokitika. There we followed a lonely planet recommedation and had Pipi´s Pizza for dinner just before we made our way to our hostel in Punakaiki (directly on the beach).

Day 284 – 285 / PUNAKAIKI
In Jandals I got bitten by various sandflies within 2 minutes, which reminded me of where we were – the west coast :) Pushed by the swiss owner we went to see the sunset as the weather forecast for the next day was horrible again.
So it is some truth in what they say about the west coast. On my first trip I´ve seen NOTHING and during my second not much more. Full of expectations and pride (we only waited for the high tide to come) we were waiting to see the Pancake rocks and blow holes, where the water should splash high in the air. After a little cave walk and killing half the day, what a disappointment – there was hardly any splash! Right time, right place – 10 asians with huge cameras to our left and right confirmed that as well ;) – but nothing. But even if we had bad luck with the blow holes we were lucky to see some Hector dolphins feeding – which was great :) The same day we still made our way to Motueka.

Day 285 - 287 / MOTUEKA
Here we had a great hostel, too, and free internet. Finally we advertised Baba black sheep as well on trademe.co.nz (New Zealand´s ebay). Besides that we checked out Motueka and had some Brezels for breakfast from the european bakery I discovered when I was here the first time ;)

Day 287 -288 / TAKAKA
Just after breakfast we drove to Takaka, part of the Golden bay. And just like the first time – PERFECT WEATHER! After we dropped our luggage at the hostel we grabbed our togs and headed fort he beach. Was great to finally see the sun again ;) Our hostel was fabulous again, with a kitchen outside and sunshine till late :)
The following day we decided to visit Tata Beach and take advantage of the good weather as long as possible. The water was wonderful and a real refreshment! In general we found the sea in New Zealand nowhere really warm but here you could at least go for a proper swim. Probably that´s the price fort he clear water everywhere – really fantastic! Before sunset we rented a Kajak for 2 hours and explored the area on water. This was beautiful as well :) After that we went to Marahau which meant: get ready for the Abel Tasman track.

Day 289 – 291 / ABEL TASMAN NATIONAL PARK
At 9:30am we got picked up by the water taxi and drove up to Awarau. On the way we saw Seelions, Dolphins and even an Albinodolphin. As we had to pass a part of the walk during low tide we started our walk immediately – but not a problem at all – and after about 3 hours walking we arrived at our first campsite Bark bay. Then it became exciting as we put up the borrowed tent from the flat :) We prayed for no rain as we had no clue if the tent would be waterproof. I can´t remember the last time I´ve been camping but there is a good chance that it was with Martin as well, but when we were considerably younger hehe. Our first dinner was rice with tomato sauce and sweet basil – ready made food – to save weight in our backpacks. It was surprisingly good ;)
The next morning we had to pack the tent and everything else back in our bags. After a few more hours we arrived at our next campsite, Anchorage. After relaxing on the beach we even did another small walk around the place. We were really lucky with the weather – in comparison to my last visit in the national park :)
After 2 nights in a tent we had the last part to Marahau ahead of us. Stretching the time we had another stopp on one of the beautiful beaches before we reached our goal in the afternoon. It is really a wonderful track and I would recommend it in summer very much as I wasn´t that enthusiastic in the first place. But if you can swim and have a nice break on the beach it is something completely different!

Day 291 – 292 / BLENHEIM
On the way to Nelson the first thing we did: we bought some ice and cold drinks – you VERY much appreciate that after 2 days (incl. boiling water to drink). Just in time for dinner we arrived again at Ian and Jenny´s house and what a surprise – Nicky, Iain 2, Jack, Grace and Max were there as well! Of course, one day before Christmas :) (we forgot / repressed or whatever, again). We enjoyed our first shower in days and after some real food we fell asleep in really comfy beds.
The next morning turned out to be a bit stressful as I messed up the ferry times a little bit ;) We had some things to do in Blenheim which included to organise the beer for Christmas in Wellington. After a painful goodbye to family Hair we took of to Picton and with the Ferry to Wellington. It was a strange feeling again: on one side the travel time with my brother was over, on the other side I was looking forward to Xmas and New years with the others :/

Day 292 – 296 / WELLINGTON (WITH MARTIN)
Arrived at Jeffy´s we first of all were amazed by the new bar in the backyard, built by Adam! Unbelievable! Some locations in town would envy this! And decorated with great paintings, of course :) Just arrived we hurried to make our way to the restaurant. Mum and Dad transfered us some money to go out for Christmas and so we spent „the holy evening“ in a good Thai restaurant. Just fits with a spezial Xmas :)
The BEST weather was waiting for us the next morning (really, I haven´t seen Wellington like this before!). At 10am it was arleady really hot and no wind at all!!! Blue sky as far as the eye can see – WOOOHOOO! About an hour later we as well gave up (on clothes) and just walked around in our togs. Just after we blew up a paddling pool in the backyard, the first beer – and wine bottles were opened. Continuing sharing the presents and a really chaotic secret santa we started with bavarian white sausages, Brezen and sweet mustard – and they were DELICIOUS! Just like home :) Followed sausages in bacon from england we finished our „breakfast“ with Croissants and Champagner. As we managed to squeeze 9 people into the paddling pool we decided to order a shuttle taxi bus and go to the beach for the afternoon :) In the evening when we were all absolutely tired and exhausted from the sun and the long day we still were able to get some dinner ready at about 11pm ;) – what a Christmas, I could get used to it :)
We headed to town for boxing day (yes, shops are open here, even if not all of them) to get the last shopping done. Besides that someone wanted to look at the car and we still didn´t clean it. Unfortunately the guy decided for another one. The day ended with a nice fire, even if the weather was about to get worse again.
The next morning Adam and I went to see Amber (his mum´s former dog) again while Martin strawled through town once more. And suddenly it was his last evening in New Zealand and the end of the holiday :(
We had to get up early to the airport. Time went really fast and I was sad to see Martin leave! But something lasts: We had an amazing time :)

Day 296 - 307 / WELLINGTON (WITHOUT MARTIN)
After another nap Adam and me went to Scorching Bay – and I did my first sand sculpture on my own :) Not picking an insane size like last time I restricted myself to a small Terminatorbunny and Adam improved further on his faces. Later we decided to go and see „The Hobbit“ after some dinner. I really can´t leave New Zealand without seeing that movie ;)
The day after I had 3 german boys interested in the car – but didn´t work either. Later on we got ready for New years! Anna (a former flatmate of Jefferson`s) organised a house in Masterton (Mikimiki) and with about 12 people we made our way there on the 30th of december.

Day 298 – 301 / MIKIMIKI
The weather in Mikimiki was still great and the house breathtaking! Huge, the walls out of straw with a great view on hills with sheep. In addition it was heated with solar energy and no wall was straight :) On the first evening we made Pizza and thanks to the big kitchen EVERYONE got involved – not to compare with the kitchen at Jefferson´s.
We had great weather again on New Years and took a bath in the river first. The rest of the day we lay in the sun, had some Ping Pong and other games before we drove along the river in the afternoon, checking for another swimming hole. Later on we had a big BBQ and after all it was a quite quiet New Years Eve. Long time ago since I had that ;) We went to bed at around 2am already – done from the sun (ok, not ONLY the sun ;)).
Still, a few people were hungover the first day of the year. Adam and I decided to drive to Castle point (Lighthouse with a nice beach). The weather was ok and so we had a long nap to recover from the night before. Just before dinner some more people joined us and raised the number to 18 :)
The mood the next day wasn´t that good anymore and the whole thing reminded me a little bit of „Big Brother“. The two of us decided to leave one day earlier and so we drove back to Wellington. There we got a nice welcome with wind up to 124km/h – incredible how the weather can change here.
It got better the next day and we repainted the wall in the backyard a bit. Besides that I tried to figure out what I need in my luggage for Australia and what not ;) Puh!
With colder temperatures but still no rain we made our way to Scorching bay again – sand sculpture number 2 :) And in the evening: a classic Jefferson fire with a visitor from Austria hehe.
On Saturday Clare was finally around again and 8 of us went to princess bay for a swim before Adam and myself went out once more for Pizza. It was delicious! Scopa in Wellington – highly recommended ;)
Sunday morning we visited the zoo. It was far too hot and we felt sorry for the animals anyway! So we went down to the waterfront afterwards. They built up a 2 platforms there and while Adam was happily jumping Babarazzi was busy with Action shots ;) We ended the day with a picnic in the botanical gardens and fell asleep again... you don´t get younger :)
On monday I finally got a WOF (Warrenty of fitness) appointment for the car and visited my collegues from the Bank once more for lunch and a coffee. It was great to see Sue and Ian again – unfortunately it didn´t work out with Kylie. As we watched „Life of Pi“ in the evening I suddenly became aware that my last day in New Zealand was just ahead of me :(
After I paid another $600 to get Baba Black Sheep through the New Zealand Version of „TÜV“ and to get the registration extended it happened to be a quiet day. As the weather was nice we just started with my Goodbye drinks at 4pm already and made a fire. Almost everyone was there and even Abby, Jen and Robbie came to say goodbye. As a symbolic act I burned my Lonely planet and had to wipe a few tears away. Quite drunk we simply fell into bed – not a good idea when you have to get up at 4am – AHHHHH!
Completely hungover and overwhelmed by my feelings, Adam drove me to the airport to say goodbye. In the beginning I could handle it quite ok but as he was gone I spent about 10 minutes on the toilet. At least with red eyes no one was interested in my „slightly“ too heavy luggage anymore ;)

And herewith 10 unbelievably great month in New Zealand are coming to an end :( I had a fantastic time and still can´t believe it how long it took me actually make this journey. Always postponed and put on the back burner – and even if it would have been completely different – I wouldn´t wanna miss a thing. This I would regret for my whole life!

This brings me as well to my next decision: I won´t come back to Germany in February yet. I´ve thought about it a lot and in the end decided to take the risk. Adam follows me to Melbourne in 6 weeks time and we will see what jobs we can find and how it goes with us.
Even if I miss you alll HEAPS, it looks like I don´t miss Germany enough yet.

I hope the shock is not too big but hey – No RISK, no FUN ;)

Hereby a last KIA ORA from the MOST BEAUTIFUL!!! end of the World,
Yours Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment